Welcome to D's Threads Down South

Thank you for coming to my page. I have many items posted so feel free to take a look.

Be sure to scroll down and click older posts to view E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g!!!

These are just items I have lately made-If you have any suggestions on maybe a piece I can do feel free to ask!

To Contact Me:

Email Me at: d.sthreadsdownsouth@yahoo.com

Prices are Fair and Reasonable-Starting at $20-Up

*The sizes listed are ones I have in stock. Sizes can be available upon request *

ENJOY!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My Parents at 82

May 12,2010
I can't believe it's already almost the middle of May, where did April go? I guess it was a busy month, but I can't remember why.
I'm going to tell you a little about my parents, who are now both 82 years young. About 10 years ago or so, I'm not good at realizing how much time passes so it could be longer, they sold their house in Florida and bought a 5th wheel camper. They decided they wanted to do some traveling. They have always been very active.
So for the last 10 years or so every May they planned out their summer travels, then they always went back to Fla. for the winter.
A couple months ago they decided it was time to quit traveling so much and buy a small house and give up the "life on the road." They found a nice double wide mobile home in a retirement park and bought it.
I went down a couple weeks ago to help them move all their stuff out of the camper and into their new home. The house was fully furnished and I mean it looked like the people packed their clothes and walked out the door. They left everything from towels to dishes.
So first, we had to take out what my mom didn't want in the house and give it a good cleaning, well we wiped out the cabinets in the kitchen, it wasn't really dirty.
I have a son who has moved back here from NC so I went through the stuff and by the time I was done the back of my little cruiser was loaded. Then came time to bring in their stuff from the camper.
Now, I know this was their home for a good many years and you wouldn't think that a camper would hold very much stuff ha ha ! It took myself, my brother, my dad to take everything out of the camper, while my mom and sister-in-law tried to put things up, it took most of the day.
Like I said earlier my parents are both 82 and they were both right in their doing their share, and it had gotten hot that day, we are in Fla. after all. The only thing they did get concerned about was each other, my mom would tell my dad "Jim you need to come in and cool off and rest" and my dad would tell me to tell my mom to take a break, so she didn't get tired.
We got them moved in and before I left we had it pretty settled and now they are still putting on the finishing touches to their new house. While we were going through what was in the house we came across a sewing machine, this is good for me- so I brought it home with me to check it out. I knew I probably wouldn't need it but my daughter-in-law said she wanted to learn to maybe how to sew- I was thinking of her when I carried it back almost 500 miles.
The experience with teaching her on the machine will come at a later time so stay tuned maybe I can even get her to take a picture of what she's making or working on?
So that's the story of my great parent's getting their home at 83 years young, and I do mean young, sometimes I think they can out do me. I love them and I'm happy their in one place, at least for awhile, I have not doubt that their traveling days are not over.

dsthreadsdownsouth signing out for now..

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't tell Shirley you said she was 83!!! She will be 83 this Dec. Jim will be 83 in Feb. You are flirting with a tongue lashing messing with your Mother's age!!! :):):)
    Love your clothes! Keep up the good work. I put you on my Facebook page since I have some granddaughters with kidlets...thought they might be interested also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already got the tongue lashing while I was down there, made the same mistake of saying she was 83, then did it again here. Thank you for the compliment, I hope i will hear from your granddaughters in the future.

    ReplyDelete