Welcome to D's Threads Down South

Thank you for coming to my page. I have many items posted so feel free to take a look.

Be sure to scroll down and click older posts to view E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g!!!

These are just items I have lately made-If you have any suggestions on maybe a piece I can do feel free to ask!

To Contact Me:

Email Me at: d.sthreadsdownsouth@yahoo.com

Prices are Fair and Reasonable-Starting at $20-Up

*The sizes listed are ones I have in stock. Sizes can be available upon request *

ENJOY!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

What I've made for myself







Sept. 9, 2010
I told you in an earlier post that I was going to make something for myself for a change, have'nt done it in quite awhile. So I got them finished and was so thrilled with them that I had my son take a few pic. of them so I could share them with you.
Let me start off by saying you can't really tell how old you are getting till you see your self in pictures. I really do not like seeing pic. of myself, but I thought it would look better than hanging on a hanger. This top, I have to say, I love it. It took only about 2 hrs to make, the material was on sale, always love that, and it's just a fun top. The two top sides drape down the front and make a cool feature, then the back is longer, covers the butt, which I like. I love the colors, it reminds me that fall will be here soon.
Now for the winter suit. I have to admit something right off hand. When I look at a pattern, if it has a lining, or cuffs, or zippers and waistbands, I have to think twice before I try to do it. I saw this pattern and loved the way the jacket was made, it just looked like with the right material it would be really snugly in the winter.
I'm not the best at picking out the right material for the right pattern, but I was looking and saw this chocolate brown tweed, on sale, and thought that it would really be "rich" looking. So I put my fears aside, bought the pattern and material, took them home, started reading the instructions and thought I had lost my mind! There was like 11 pieces for the jacket alone, but I knew it would really be a nice winter outfit when I got done. So I started at the beginning and just kept plugging away at it, and I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.
You can't really tell what the material is like, but it is a dark brown tweed with light brown threads running through it. I could have made a few adjustments to it, like the cuffs are a little long, the waist is a little high, I forgot that I usually cut the top of the pants down a little, but all of this was after the fact and it still works for me. The jacket really is'nt as bulky as the picture made it seem, I think that's from me posing. As you can see the butt of the pants fit really well. My son kept saying just don't stand there, pose or do something so I did.
Let me just say that when you work with tweed it is a BIG MESS it ravels like nobody's business. I have carpet in my sewing room, and I had to vacuum a total of 4 times by the time I was finished. I had to be extra careful in handling it just to keep the raveling down. I forgot to mention that the jacket is lined, thank goodness, and that was a challenge to me also, but as far as the fit and the look of the suit, I could'nt be happier or more proud of it.
Thanks for sharing in my accomplishments with me, and the more I venture out the more I will be able to make any and all future customers happy.
dsthreadsdownsouth out for now.









1 comment:

  1. Hello Doreen, how wonderful to see something you've made for yourself. It looks VERY good I must say. Not a bad model there too.......LOL. Have been 'away' from computer a bit of late, so very slow commenting or blogging myself. I like both garments, but especially the long sleeved jacket and the fit of the pants!!!

    ReplyDelete